Next phase – the walls

Floor. Tick. Now on to the walls… 

Great diagram huh? What this is trying to show is that there is a ledge half way up the walls above the waterline. This is about shoulder height and will be where a shelf sits. Below it there will be horizontal panelling built out from the ribs. Behind this I can put pieces of foam insulation (no spray on here!). The shelf can also conceal any wiring. In an ideal world (really not achievable when it comes to anything boat related) it would be floor to ceiling but this creates a big issue with the portholes and they would have to be built round (fiddly and crap looking) or put on a collar (not original and probably impossible to find the right fitting). The insulation will at least come above the waterline and should look good.

This is the first panelling sample. Called bead and butt apparently. Once that is painted (white I reckon, though could be persuaded to a grey) we really will be going great guns.

Turning point

There have been some major turning points in this project (bear with me as it has been a long project and hence lots of lots of turning points) that have spurred me on with the project and seemed like a real watershed moment. They include: getting the blimmin thing out the water in the first place, finishing the blasting, getting the first coat of paint on, finishing the deck, and now the floor. It’s down and looking truly truly sublime. I am yet to walk on it personally (child care issues etc) by I am assured that it is the soundest, smoothest floor you ever did step on.

The final piece to the puzzle has been the flooring round the engine. This ties in really well with the main cabin flooring and means the engine can just be dropped in place.

No mean feat with lots of fiddly bits round the edges and different levels.

This week’s update¬†

The sun is shining and the wind blowing and all is progressing nicely with the good ship Beta III. We are motoring ahead with the floor. And by “we”, I mean Ian the carpenter. The beam sections that the ply boards sit in are in three main section. The central section is done – a straight run. Making it easier to complete the two side sections as there is actually something flat to work on. 

Ian has bookmatched all the ply so that the grain runs from one piece to another and it all looks proper lovely. We don’t have a picture of this as it was all covered up. Will show you later.

I can’t tell you what a MASSIVE MASSIVE transformation it is to actually have a floor. The number of times I have twisted my ankle, or cracked it against the metal, or stepped into a puddle of water. This won’t happen again. Rather than hopping from beam to beam (usually with a big bucket of crud from the bilge) I can literally skip across the floor of the boat. This my friends represents significant progress.

Meanwhile in the galley…. for some reason we had missed Shotblasting the underside of the deck here so needed to knock off the flakey paint with a heat gun and wire brush. 

This was manfully done by Tom. It’s a pretty awful job as it basically involves standing with your arms above your head for hours while flakes of paint rain down on you. The metal beams are all prepped and now being painted. The underside of the deck is a bit patchy as it isn’t possible to get it back to plain wood without sandblasting it. It may be that we end up painting it again which would bring some more light into the galley which is definitely the darkest room by some way.
Next up are those pesky square windows. Not found some brass ones in three years of searching so time for Ian to make a wooden version.

Tom has discoverer the joys of jotamastic… 


Things have been happening at the boat. Not by my hand but through the sterling work of tom and Ian. We are a bit light on photos but to summarise, the galley has had the paint removed from the ceiling with elbow grease and a heat gun. Not the best job as you have to stand with your arms in the air for hours and the paint goes everywhere. In the main cabin, the wood has arrived and Ian is starting on the floor. As this is the biggest space, it’s going to make a massive impact and make it look finished. 
Next task is to plan the galley… likely something along the lines of the photos below…

We’re back!

After a winter break (more on that later!), we’re back to get cracking on Beta III. It’s been a while and I was thrilled to see that she has fared the winter well. There is almost no water in the bilge, the paintwork has held up well, and the only damage seems to be a bit of bird poop. And best of all the caulking job on the deck seems to have held. Big relief!

Also time to check where we got to last year. First testing out the bed area…

And taking a look at the spray paint job Tom did on the inside of the galley. This was the last job of 2016 and I hasn’t seen it so pleased to report it is looking good and seems to be pretty thorough. 

This is big news as the main cabin used to look like this…

On the immediate to do list for 2017:

– finally find some blimmin square windows (yes, I’ve looked online. Yes, I’ve tried eBay… not a sausage)

– finish the floor in the main cabin (Ian the carpenter is all teed up to do this)

– a little more painting of beams (not done with the jotomastic 87 yet!) and sanding the underside of the deck

 – design and fit out the galley